Frequently Asked Questions

I am a patient seeking medical treatment in the United States. How do I find out more information about requesting an appointment with a ChooseUSHealth hospital partner?

You may reach out about setting up an appointment by visiting the specific page for the hospital of your choice and selecting “Contact”. This will link you to a form that you can complete in order to be contacted by the hospital. Alternatively, you can visit the contact page directly and select the hospital of your choice via the dropdown menu.

As a patient in the United States, will I have access to an interpreter?

Yes, all of our hospital partners are required by US federal law to provide patients with medical interpreter services if they are needed.

As a patient in the United States, will I have assistance with travel?

Yes, our hospital partners will assist you and your family with your travel needs, including flight and lodging arrangements.

As a patient in the United States, will my treatment provider understand my unique needs?

Yes, all of our hospital partners have a culturally sensitive approach to working with international patients.

As a patient in the United States, how will I stay informed about the steps in my treatment?

Our hospital partners offer personalized guidance on consultations, procedures, and therapy. Most also offer online technology that will allow you to make surgical and financial decisions as well as streamline paperwork.

Does ChooseUSHealth offer guidance in selecting a hospital partner for my treatment?

ChooseUSHealth is a resource to help you make the most appropriate selection for your healthcare needs. By using the filters on the hospital partners page, you can select a hospital based on specialties, region, state, and adult or pediatric care. However, ChooseUSHealth is not able to provide guidance on your care; please direct all treatment-related questions to the hospital of your choice.

Do I need a visa to travel to the United States for medical treatment?

Generally, a citizen of a foreign country who wishes to enter the United States for medical treatment must first obtain a B-2 nonimmigrant visa for a temporary stay.* The visa allows a foreign citizen to travel to a US port of entry and request permission of the US immigration inspector to enter the United States. There are specific requirements that applicants must meet to qualify for a visitor visa under US immigration law. The consular officer at the US Embassy or Consulate will determine whether you qualify for the visa.

The required presumption under US law is that every visitor visa applicant is an intending immigrant until they demonstrate otherwise. Therefore, applicants for visitor visas must overcome this presumption by demonstrating:

  • That the purpose of their trip is to enter the United States temporarily for business or pleasure;
  • That they plan to remain for a specific, limited period;
  • Evidence of funds to cover expenses in the United States;
  • That they have a residence outside the United States as well as other binding ties that will ensure their departure from the United States at the end of the visit.

The consular officer may ask for further documents at your visa interview, which may include:

  • Medical diagnosis from a local physician, explaining the nature of the ailment and the reason you need treatment in the United States;
  • Letter from a physician or medical facility in the United States, stating they are willing to treat your specific ailment and detailing the projected length and cost of treatment (including doctors’ fees, hospitalization fees, and all medical-related expenses);
  • Proof that your transportation, medical, and living expenses in the United States will be paid; this may be in the form of bank or other statements of income/savings or certified copies of income tax returns (either yours or the person or organization paying for your treatment).

*Travelers coming to the United States for tourism or business (B-1 or B-2 category visa) purposes for 90 days or less from the following 38 qualified countries may be eligible to travel without a visa if they meet the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) requirements: Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Chile, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, and the United Kingdom.

For more information, please visit the US Visas portion of the US Department of State website.

How do I obtain a visa to travel to the United States for medical treatment?

There are several steps to apply for a visa. The order of these steps and how you complete them may vary at the US Embassy or Consulate where you apply. Please consult the instructions available on the US Embassy or Consulate website where you will apply.

Quick Links – How to Apply for a Visa at the US Embassy and US Consulates in China
US Embassy of Beijing, China
US Consulate General in Chengdu, China
US Consulate General in Guangzhou, China
US Consulate General in Shanghai, China
US Consulate General in Shenyang, China

Quick Links – How to Apply for a Visa at the US Embassy and US Consulates in Brazil
US Embassy of Brasília, Brazil
US Consulate General in Recife
US Consulate General in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
US Consulate General in São Paulo, Brazil

I am an international physician, governmental entity, or hospital interested in learning how to partner with US healthcare institutions. Whom should I contact?

Please visit our list of hospital partners and use the filter to select hospitals that offer international solutions. After selecting a hospital to contact, you can indicate whether you’re seeking more information about international advisory and consulting services, education and training programs, and/or management services in order to receive more information about how the hospital partners with organizations outside of the United States.