Our health system comprises UC San Diego Medical Center, Thornton Hospital, Moores Cancer Center (one of only 45 National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer centers & the first and only San Diego-based National Comprehensive Cancer Network® Member Institution), Shiley Eye Institute, Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center, Jacobs Medical Center, as well as other primary and specialty practices located throughout Southern California.
Our physicians are recognized leaders in their professional societies, heading national organizations and committees dedicated to improving care and advancing knowledge about disease. They are prominently listed in publications such as America’s Top Doctors, Good Housekeeping, and US News & World Report.
UC San Diego Health is nationally ranked in 8 specialties by US News & World Report in its well-known annual “Best Hospitals” issue. It has held the #1 ranking for the San Diego region for six consecutive years. Our School of Medicine is consistently ranked among the top research-intensive medical school programs in the country by US News & World Report and in 2016. UC San Diego has also been ranked as one of the nation’s top 100 Hospitals and among the top 15 major teaching hospitals by Truven Health. Becker’s Hospital Review ranks UC San Diego Health among the 100 Great Hospitals in America. Additionally, Healthgrades has conferred its “Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence.”
Free of charge, UC San Diego Health’s International Program will work with you to:
- Find the right doctor
- Schedule appointments with your doctors
- Help you to understand your financial costs
- Assist you with getting around the hospital as well as the city of San Diego
- Make sure our hospital facilities are ready for you
- Deal with any issues that come up before, during, and after your visit
- Guide and facilitate documentation that helps to expedite the medical visa request at your local US Embassy
- Coordinate your care with your physician at home
- Help with local services such as setting up a bank account upon arrival, obtaining a local mobile phone, etc.
- Ground transportation (including pick-up from San Diego, Tijuana, and other regional airports)
- Translation or interpretation services (Spanish, Arabic, Portuguese, Italian, Japanese, and other languages on demand)
Our ranked specialties in US News & World Report include cancer, cardiology and heart surgery, diabetes and endocrinology, otolaryngology, gastroenterology & gastrointestinal surgery, geriatrics, gynecology, nephrology, neurology and neurosurgery, orthopedics, pulmonology, and urology. Additionally, the following programs are of particular interest to our international patients:
- Second opinion medical consultations (UC San Diego Health supports your local physicians by confirming diagnoses or recommending alternative treatment options so that patients are presented all possible options for care)
- Executive health and wellness Checkups
- PTE (pulmonary thromboendarterectomy) – UC San Diego invented this surgical procedure and continues to be the premier hospital for it, having performed more of these procedures than the rest of the world combined and with the lowest mortality rate.
- Digestive Health
- General Surgery
- Neuroscience (Neurology & Neurosurgery)
- Plastic Surgery
- Primary Care
- Women’s Health
Raul Coimbra, MD
Dr. Raul Coimbra is the surgeon-in-chief of the UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest, executive vice-chairman of the Department of Surgery, chief of the Division of Trauma, Surgical Critical Care, Burns and Acute Care Surgery, as well as the director of the Level-1 Trauma Center at UC San Diego Health System. Dr. Coimbra has played a significant role in building our region's first Level-1 Trauma Center into one of the top programs in the nation, as well as a model for trauma centers around the world. He is from São Paulo, Brazil.
Santiago Horgan, MD
Director, Center for the Future of Surgery
Dr. Santiago Horgan is an internationally recognized expert in esophageal disease, weight loss surgery, minimally invasive surgery, and new technologies and approaches for surgery. He performs a variety of weight loss procedures, including gastric sleeve, gastric plication, gastric bypass, and revisional weight loss surgeries. As a specialist in esophageal disorders, Dr. Horgan treats gastroesophageal reflux (GERD), achalasia, esophageal cancer and Barrett's esophagus. Dr. Horgan was the first surgeon in the US to implant the FDA-approved LINX device in a patient suffering from GERD.
Nick H. Kim, MD
Director, Pulmonary Vascular Medicine
Dr. Nick Kim is a board-certified pulmonologist and director of the the Pulmonary Vascular Medicine Program at UC San Diego Health. He specializes in the treatment of people with pulmonary hypertension and chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension (CTEPH). UC San Diego is an internationally recognized center for the treatment of all forms of pulmonary hypertension.
William Jeffery Sandborn, MD
Chief, Division of Gastroenterology and Director,
UCSD Inflammatory Bowel Disease Center
Dr. Sandborn has published more than 408 articles including articles in the New England Journal of Medicine, The Lancet, JAMA, Annals of Internal Medicine, and Gastroenterology. His research interests are clinical trials and clinical pharmacology related to inflammatory bowel disease.
The Department of Medicine works in partnership with educational institutions and research teams around the world. In each one of our projects, we strive to develop sustainable local capacity to prevent disease and deliver clinical care, prepare the physicians of tomorrow in the United States and abroad, and develop the medical treatments and tools most urgently needed in the world today. Some of our current efforts include internal medicine residency training, medical education partnership initiatives, the Med Into Grad Program, biomedical informatics, global public health, infectious diseases, and our global health initiative.International Solutions Email • International Solutions Website